The university system in Israel can be very accommodating to new Olim. Israeli universities are internationally recognized and some are even ranked in the top 50 universities in the world. Hebrew lectures often include English readings. Advanced ulpan is available, and several universities and colleges offer MA programs in English. Professors frequently, allow Oleh students to answer exams in English . Attending university in Israel is a great way to get your foot in the door, make Israeli contacts within your field, and acquire essential Hebrew skills. A degree from an Israeli institution provides the experience that can make a significant difference in your academic future, as well as your professional career.
As Olim Chadashim, you are entitled to a free higher education, subject to certain criteria such as age, prior degrees, etc. For more information please click here
Important Note: Most of the programs that are offered in English are private and therefore are not fully covered by the Student Authority (as with the Israeli programs). Tuition ranges from $6,000 - $25,000, depending on the program. If the program is recognized by the Student Authority, they will pay the equivalent of Israeli tuition (approx. $3,000 a year).
There are nine major universities in Israel,and many colleges (Michlalot).
- Hebrew University, has three campuses, two in Jerusalem and one in Rechovot. It has universal renown and a variety of fields of study ranging from humanities to sciences and engineering.
- Tel Aviv University has the benefit of being located in the "city that never sleeps." It offers programs of study in engineering, international relations, medicine, film and television, philosophy, English, and fine arts, among many others.
- Bar Ilan University is located in Ramat Gan, near Tel Aviv, and has the benefit of an advanced Torah study option on campus.
- Ben Gurion University in Beer Sheva is named after the first prime minister of Israel. Its health science programs are very popular, especially physical therapy, nursing, public health, and gerontology.
- Haifa University is the site of one of the few IBM research centers located outside the USA. Popular fields are the sciences, law, business, and education.
- Weitzman Institute of Science, offering graduate and doctoral degrees, is one of the top-ranking, multi-disciplinary research institutions in the world. It is located in Rechovot, and is relatively small, with only 2,500 students.
- Technion in Haifa is where Professor Musa, inventor of the cure for Parkinson's disease, studied. Top fields include architecture, engineering, medicine, sciences, and mathematics.
- Ariel University recently received recognition as the ninth Israeli university. It is located in the Shomron and offers a variety of degrees in the humanities, social sciences and health sciences.
- The Open University is located in Ra'anana. It is based on a system of distance learning, and therefore has no admission requirements.
In addition to the programs listed above, there are many programs offered in English. These programs are private and the Minhal Hastudentim funding only partially covers the cost of tuition. For more information, please see English-Language University Programs.