If your Aliyah date is between January 1st 2017 and December 31st 2020, Misrad Haklita offers additional assistance for the study of the Hebrew language. For more info please see the following document.
Learning Hebrew is essential to an Oleh’s integration into Israeli society. It empowers and enables you to feel comfortable both in the workplace and in social settings.
There are many resources available to assist you gain proficiency in Hebrew.
- For a comprehensive list of Ulpan options in Israel, click here.
- Information about Ulpan options outside of Israel can be found here.
- For a further listing of online resources for Hebrew study, please see: http://www.hebrew-language.com.
- For a detailed list of easy-to-use list phonetic Hebrew words and phrases for a range of different items and situations, see Anglo-List.com.
Taking an Ulpan class and improving your Hebrew skills, both before and after making Aliyah, improves your marketability in the Israeli workplace and helps you integrate more successfully into Israeli society. Whether you have fairly good Hebrew or are just beginning the learning process, there are things you can start to do even if you are several years away from your target Aliyah date. This listing offers you several options for studying Hebrew, either in an Ulpan or in another learning format – for adults and children – both before and after you arrive in Israel.
If you cannot fit an Ulpan into your weekly schedule, or if there are no Ulpan courses in your area, there are many e-learning options that you can use at home. These programs offer you the opportunity to tailor your Hebrew language education to your schedule as well as your personal educational needs. If you’re just starting the process – don’t be overwhelmed! Learning Hebrew online is no different than sitting in a classroom to learn any other subject. This time the classroom happens to be virtual, making it easier for you to fit it into your schedule. The course that you are going to design for yourself progresses just like any other course; you are not expected to learn the whole syllabus on the first day. Take it slow, and remember – persistence is key!
The online educational resources that are listed below are divided by type: professional classes, online resources, video classes/podcasts and children’s resources. The websites and products are just a sample of what is now available; others can be found using the Internet.
- https://ulpan.com/ : You can learn Hebrew online from anywhere in the world quickly with our effective method on a schedule that works for you. All Hebrew lessons are live one-on-one video calls with one of our fabulous teachers.
- http://www.ulpanet.com/: Speak, read and write Hebrew, in a few weeks, at your own pace and on your own schedule, at minimum cost. Modern Hebrew language on-line courses that provide you the tools to learn Hebrew at your own convenience. Courses are approved by the Israeli Ministry of Education. We are pleased to offer all Nefesh b’Nefesh olim an amazing discount: 10% off on your subscription. Please enter “nbn” in the discount box to receive your special discount. Our staff has designed this program to enable internet users maximum effectiveness in gaining Hebrew proficiency from the comfort of their homes or offices. We are doing our best to make our courses attractive and accessible to all. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any question.
- http://www.ulpanor.com/: Study Hebrew online with a personal Hebrew coach. Ulpan Or offers study kits, workshops and online tutors. You can choose to study a particular vocabulary set, such as focusing on learning the professional language you need for your vocation.
- Learning Hebrew with Berlitz: With 10 schools in Israel and 550 schools in over 70 countries, either in class or online, the Berlitz method is the fastest and most effective way to learn Hebrew.
- http://www.youtube.com/user/JoelYaronPub/: Learn modern Hebrew through fun, interesting and practical videos.
- http://www.hebrewclasses.co.il/: Online Hebrew course taught by Seth Young and Gidon Ariel. Covers Hebrew grammar and vocabulary.
- http://lingolearn.com/: An Israeli-based online language school, which offers Hebrew courses for all levels and backgrounds. Classes are taught by experienced native speaking teachers and include high quality structured learning materials.Classes are held in a state of the art virtual classroom, which enables real-time audio and video communication between students and teachers, and are accompanied by interactive teaching aids. Visit the website to learn more and sign up for a free trial lesson.
- http://skyvrit.com/: Skyvrit is an alternative to Ulpan that helps you learn Hebrew online using Skype. Discounts available to NBN Olim and those accepted to make Aliyah through NBN.
- https://www.teachermike.co.il/: Teacher Mike was founded in order to share the techniques he used to teach himself Hebrew. He offers group and private lessons in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, in addition to group and private lessons online via Skype. There is also an array of online Hebrew video courses for those that prefer teaching themselves.
- https://medium.com/sichayomitonline/leanconversationalhebrewtoday/home: Free online tutorial support for conversational Hebrew.
- Www.citizencafe-tlv.com/online Learn the most practical immersive Hebrew for everyday life to sound like a true Israeli! Citizen cafe is Tel Aviv’s first language and culture school, with it’s renowned method developing confidence and focusing immediate results. Learn from anywhere in live online groups (using video conference) with incredible and highly dynamic teachers direct from Tel Aviv!
- https://www.ulpanisraeli.com: Learn Hebrew online. Options for short courses and Academic year options. Ulpan Israeli has highly qualified staff and innovative teaching methods. Small classes, meet and practice online with others. We provide an experience that combines the study of Hebrew with Israeli cultural immersion.
- http://www.hebrewpodcasts.com/: Learn Hebrew Online teaches you to speak conversational Hebrew. Each lesson covers a topic with an interesting Hebrew dialog. Each Hebrew lesson is further enhanced by a lesson guide, video, and flash cards. This site includes flash cards and video lessons. Each video includes the entire lesson with graphics, captions, and animation. You can read along when you learn Hebrew online, or using a video-capable player such as an iPod or iPhone.
- http://www.learnhebrewpod.com/: Learnhebrewpod.com utilizes modern web technology for the purpose of teaching conversational skills with interactive methods. This site offers Hebrew podcast lessons, Hebrew audio lessons, Hebrew training and practicing, online learning games, quizzes and other fun interactive activities to help you practice your Hebrew, and Hebrew interactive audio-visual reading lessons.
- http://www.milingua.com/: MILINGUA offers Web-based, online Hebrew learning lessons and resources for a yearly subscription fee. It includes more than 2200 Web pages of Hebrew learning materials. The Hebrew courses and the other learning materials include thousands of sentences that cover a vocabulary of 5,200 words and represent about 400 hours of learning.
- http://tlv1.fm/content/streetwise-hebrew/: Streetwise Hebrew episodes are entertaining, short, sweet and great Hebrew lessons right to your phone. He takes a word and analyzes all of its uses, or takes a theme and talks about common phrases used within that theme.
- Conversational Hebrew (Modern): Learn to Speak and Understand Hebrew with Pimsleur Language Programs (Simon & Schuster’s Pimsleur)
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/software/11024841/ref=pd_ts_sw_nav: Bestselling lists of Hebrew instruction software.
- T.E.S. Torah Educational Software includes Hebrew resources for adults
- http://www2.rosettastone.com/: Rosetta Stone Language Learning Software site.
- Talk Now! by Topics Entertainment. Hebrew CD-Rom available through Amazon.
Learn Hebrew Now! by Transparent Language, Inc. Available through Amazon.
- Speak Hebrew! (Jewel Case) by Smiles Productions. Available through Amazon.
- http://www.safa-ivrit.org/: Great resource for learning vocabulary, grammar and syntax for those with a decent knowledge of Hebrew.
- http://www.engheb.com/: This is a website that offers free high quality learning resources (useful vocabulary and phrases) on a monthly basis through their email newsletter.
- http://www.dictionary.co.il/: Free online Hebrew dictionary and free Hebrew-word-a-day mailing list.
- http://www.my-hebrew-dictionary.com/: A vocabulary building website which translates from English to Hebrew words using writing, pictures and sound.
- http://www.hebrew-verbs.co.il/: This website translates to Hebrew from a list of common English verbs conjugating the word to all the possible tenses.
- http://milon.co.il: Online dictionary.
- http://ehebrew.org: Learn Hebrew online for free and increase your vocabulary with eHebrew.org’s dictionary of English & Hebrew terms organized by topic. To learn Hebrew, simply go through the terms online and practice with the free online Hebrew flashcards.
- http://ktzat-ivrit.ulpan.com/: A daily dose of Hebrew.
- http://www.kizur.co.il: Hebrew acronym finding
- http://ulpan.com/your-daily-dose-of-hebrew/: A free daily email delivered to your inbox with vocabulary, reading comprehension and some Hebrew language history!
- https://www.pealim.com/: Hebrew verb tables and articles
- http://www.jr.co.il/alef-bet.htm: Online and printable Hebrew alphabet charts which include the Hebrew letters in three formats: block, script, and Rashi. The charts also have the numeric value of each letter.
- http://www.instanthebrew.com/: An online course that will help you start reading Hebrew in just 2 hours.
- http://jewishwebsight.com/alephbet/hebrew/index.html: Teaches you the Hebrew Alphabet (without sound)
- http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Eylcflx/Aleph-Bet/index.html: Teaches you the Hebrew alphabet. The tutorials on this site are designed to reinforce vocabulary and spelling for beginning students of modern Hebrew. Some tutorials show words in Hebrew and ask for the English translation. Other tutorials display a series of simple words or phrases in English and ask the visitor to type in the Hebrew translation.
- http://www.levsoftware.com/alefbet.htm: This site shows you how to write the Aleph Bet.
- http://www.instanthebrew.com/: A one-time course that teaches you how to read Hebrew in 2 hours.
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/11833/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_5_last: Bestselling lists of Hebrew instruction books.
- English Hebrew by Subject: Discover how your Hebrew vocabulary, pronunciation and self-expression can be improved with an effective book and audio CD. Click here for a free sample chapter.
- Learn Hebrew Today: Alef-Bet for Adults by Paul Michael Yedwab, Howard I. Bogot
- Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew by Ethelyn Simon & Joseph Anderson
- Hebrew in 10 Minutes a Day® by Kristine K. Kershul
- Hebrew: A Language Course Level One by Bella Bergman (Author, Editor)
Online Newspapers in Easy Hebrew
The following news sites are designed specifically for individuals who are learning Hebrew. A fee is charged for the service.
- http://hebrewtoday.com/: Yanshuf is a bi-weekly, virtual, easy-Hebrew newspaper that covers current events from Israel and around the world, as well as other subjects such as Science and Technology, Sports, Culture and more.
Other Online Newspapers
The following newspapers are written in “regular” journalistic Hebrew (as opposed to easy Hebrew) and are available free of charge online:
Radio Stations Online
- http://www.jr.co.il/hotsites/j-voices.htm: A list of online Hebrew radio stations.
- http://www.transparent.com/languagepages/hebrew/hebrew.htm: An all around resource for learning Hebrew online.
- http://www.education.gov.il/tochniyot_limudim/math/milon.htm: Math terms
- https://jewishsoftware.com/index.php/learn-hebrew.html: Sells products for learning Hebrew in a variety of formats
- http://www.hebrew-jokes.com: Hebrew Jokes – Learn Hebrew and Laugh
- www.in-hebrew.co.il: Learn Hebrew phrases with audio
- http://www.in-hebrew.co.il: Learn Hebrew phrases in audio, 1,200 Hebrew phrases and sentences with Nikud (vowels) English translations and transliterations. 54 topics and 152 Printable Study Sheets.
- www.english-hebrew-dictionary.com: Hebrew with Nikud, English translations and transliterations. Organized by topics with 204 printable study sheets.
- http://context.reverso.net/ – Online Hebrew resource for translations, dictionary, spell check, conjugation and grammar.
You can also improve your Hebrew through recreational activities such as listening to Hebrew music, watching Israelis DVDs and even reading Hebrew children’s books.
Hebrew Software for Kids
- Artscroll Alef to Tav: For young preschoolers or those trying to crack the Hebrew Language barrier this program has what it takes. In addition if your mother tongue is Hebrew, English, French or Spanish, the entire instruction can be in the language of your choice. Preschool and up. http://israel-catalog.com/product.asp?Product=7707
- Hebrew Tutor: Hebrew Tutor teaches over a thousand words used in Tanach and daily Hebrew conversation. Hebrew Tutor will not only teach you the words it will pronounce the words in a clear human voice with the correct Israeli inflection. And don’t worry if you missed the pronunciation the first time the computer will repeat it, and repeat it until you get it right. Ages 9 and up.http://israel-catalog.com/product.asp?Product=7715
- Aleph Bet Trainer: Alef Bet Trainer teaches your child in an easy to follow step by step process of letter identification including distinctions in different but similar and often confused letters. Preschool and up. http://israel-catalog.com/product.asp?Product=7713
- http://www.israelbooks.com/bookList.asp?catId=9&subCat=115: A product list of Hebrew children’s books (in print) for purchase.
- http://www.datia.co.il/: Cute online books, poems and plays on words for children.
Children Learn the Aleph-Bet
- http://www.torahtots.com/alefbet/alefbet.htm has printable coloring book pages for children to learn the Hebrew letters as well as vocabulary corresponding to each letter.
Page updated: March 2017