There are a number of benefits provided for girls (Bnot Sherut) during the year they are completing their national service. As well, additional benefits are provided to lone Bnot Sherut (Bnot Sherut Bodedot) to assist them through their year.
The benefits listed below are provided for all Bnot Sherut, unless otherwise indicated.
Most Bnot Sherut are entitled to space in an apartment shared with other Bnot Sherut. In general, if you live close to home you will not receive this benefit unless you work it out with your Rakezet (coordinator) and the organization you will be working for.
Bnot Sherut Bodedot can request to be placed in an apartment with other Bnot Sherut Bodedot, which will be equipped with certain amenities not found in regular apartments: washing machine, oven, etc. If you choose not to join one of these apartments, the Sherut organizations will try their best to assist you in receiving these services anyway. You can also contact Ori for further assistance.
Bnot Sherut are entitled to free inner and intercity bussing. In order to receive this benefit, you must go to Rav Kav with you Sherut Leumi card and Rav Kav will put unlimited inner and intercity rides on your card, which will expire after a year.
The monthly stipends range between 500-900 shekels depending on where you live. For an exact amount please contact your Rakezet. Bnot Sherut who do not live in the apartments provided receive 100-150 NIS less per month.
Every Bat Sherut is entitled to 22 vacation days.
Bnot Sherut Bodedot receive an extra 15 days to either visit your family in their place of residence abroad or spend time with them if they visit Israel.
Bnot Sherut are entitled to 20 sick days. Sick days are counted as such when a doctor’s note is presented to the Rakezet. Otherwise, a missed day will be considered vacation.
- Rakezet (Coordinator): The Rakezet serves as a supervisor and advisor for the Bnot Sherut during their year, and is also the liaison between the volunteers and the Sherut Leumi organizations.
- NBN: Nefesh B’Nefesh is here to help and advise you with whatever you may need. Bnot Sherut Bodedot have additional support through NBN’s Ori program.
Bnot Sherut receive discounts at restaurants, movie theaters, and cell phone companies. You can receive these discounts with your Bat Sherut card.
Oraita – Shiurim are often available, usually once every 2 weeks.
Specifically for Bnot Sherut Bodedot
Olot Chadashot who are also recognized as Bnot Sherut Bodedot are entitled to a monthly stipend equal to that of a lone soldier (approximately 540 NIS per month). To receive this benefit, one must apply to the Misrad Haklita and present their Teudat Oleh, as well as their Sherut Leumi identification card.
*The benefit must be renewed every year at the Misrad Haklita.
Every Oleh Chadash recieves a stipend from Misrad Ha’Binui V’HaShikun. All Olim must wait for this benefit to go into effect. Bnot Sherut Bodedot recieve this benefit of a monthly stipend during their service at a higher rate of 402 NIS per month.
Upon finishing your full eligibility for the rental assistance benefit, you will receive a released Oleh Lone Bat Sherut extension.
If you did not receive one of these benefits, please contact us at [email protected] In cooperation with the various Israeli Sherut Leumi organizations, Ori was created to provide a community and support system for the young women who have decided to commit to a year of national service in Israel.
Benefits received after the completion of Sherut Leumi:
1) Ma’anak: A sum of 4,585 NIS per year of service (up to two years, totaling 9,170) is deposited directly into the bank account of the Bat Sherut.
2) Pikadon: A sum of 6,642 NIS for one year of service (13,285 NIS for two years) is set aside for the Bat Sherut. This money may be accessed during the five years post-Sherut Leumi for limited purposes including: higher education, wedding, or starting a business. Between five and seven years post-service this money can be accessed and used for ANY purpose.
For more information please see the following link.
There are a few conditions needed to meet in order to be eligible for this:
- The Bat Sherut must have a Ptur from the army in hand by September 1st (or the first day of Sherut)
- The Bat Sherut must complete a full 12 months of Sherut Leumi according to the requirements of the Sherut Leumi organization
*** Amounts are subject to change
If they fulfill the criteria, Bnot Sherut Bodedot are eligible for the Student Authority Benefit.
However, if a bat sherut lives in the periphery (defined here), or intends to study in certain institutions in the periphery or Jerusalem, Misrad Habitachon (the Defense Ministry) will pay for 50% of tuition for the first year of her BA (according to what is known as the Periphery Law).
The advantage to doing this is that she gains a full additional year of tuition support from Minhal Hastudentim beyond her BA studies, under most circumstances. In addition, while a Bat Sherut Bodedet is in the first year of her BA, she receives a variety of services and support from the Minhal Hastudentim even if her tuition is being paid by Misrad Habitachon. Every Bat Sherut Bodedet should sign up with Minhal Hastudentim and be in their system before she starts her studies, EVEN if she is getting 50% of tuition covered in her first year from Misrad Habitachon.