This article was updated on October 19, 2020.
The Israeli Ministry of the Interior (Misrad Hapnim) has recently decided a criminal background check is required for all Aliyah applicants. Following you will find resources and information to help clarify the steps for acquiring this document.
Authenticated criminal background checks are required for all Olim regardless of where they are making Aliyah from
- This includes all US and Canadian Olim ages 14 and up
- Background checks are valid for only 6 months from their issue date
- Olim must present a background check for every country they lived in from the age of 14 for a year or more
- Olim with Israeli background making Aliyah from abroad (Ezrachim Olim and Ktinim Chozrim) will be required to present a background check.
- Should you need information about obtaining police background checks from other countries other than the U.S. or Canada, you can search online or speak to your Aliyah advisor for additional assistance.
This is not required of Israeli passport holders who are in Israel and go directly to Misrad Hapnim and Misrad Haklita to complete their Aliyah.
US applicants need to submit an FBI background check with a federal apostille (issued in Washington DC). There are two options for acquiring the background check in the US:
- Digitally: Contact a local channeling company to get fingerprints, background checks and apostilles. You can find a local channeling company by searching Google for “FBI Channeler + your local zipcode.” We recommend using a channeling company to acquire the background check. A list of approved channeling companies can be found here. Once you have the background check, which you will receive in digital PDF format 24-48 hours after you submit your fingerprints, you will then need to get an apostille attached to it. The PDF background check is recognized as original and can be sent via email to the Office of Authentications or any apostille agency to attach an apostille. At the moment, it takes up to eight weeks to get an apostille from the Federal Government. Using an apostille service will not make the process faster and is considerably more expensive. Click here to learn how to request an apostille by mail from the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Authentications.
- Ink-Based Fingerprinting: A cheaper option is to get ink fingerprints by local law enforcement agencies or a fingerprinting vendor and send directly to the FBI. This is the cheapest option however it will take up to 16 weeks to receive your FBI report and does not include apostille authentication which you will need to submit separately. Details can be found here.
Canadian Olim need to submit “Certified Criminal Record Check”
- Information about this can be found here
- Processing time and fee information can be found here (it takes between 3-120 days and costs CAN $25). This is a federal fee and is in addition to fees charged by local police or accredited fingerprint company. For a list of private accredited fingerprinting companies, click here
- The “Certified Criminal Record Check” will need to have authentication by Global Affairs in Ottowa as well as Israeli consular approval attached to it
- If you are not currently living in Canada and need assistance obtaining the necessary Consular approval on your Canadian police report, please contact Veronica, the Jewish Agency representative in Toronto, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guided Aliyah – Aliyah from within Israel with
If you are making Aliyah from within Israel, through our Guided Aliyah program, you can have your fingerprints scanned and order your FBI background check in our office. For details please see our article detailing the requirements for Aliyah from within Israel under the section marked “Teudat Yosher”
For more information or questions, email email@example.com