The steps below will guide Ktinim Chozrim (returning minors) through their first few weeks after Aliyah. Below find a list of what to expect, which offices to visit, and which documents to bring as you obtain your Israeli documentation and begin their lives in Israel.

For more information on the Aliyah Rights & Benefits for Ktinim Chozrim, click here.

Your Israeli passport will be stamped by a passport control official upon arrival in Israel.

Note: If you are on a Nefesh B’Nefesh group or charter flight, please skip to #3: Ministry of the Interior (Misrad Hapnim).

Proceed to Misrad Haklita only if you need taxi transportation to your first destination. You are entitled to a free taxi ride anywhere in the country. Your “Teudat Zakaut” and other benefits will be issued at the local branch of Misrad Haklita.

If you are arriving with a spouse and children (i.e., your spouse is an Oleh or an Ezrach Oleh), your family will be processed at Ben Gurion Airport.

Please make sure to set up an appointment with your local branch of Misrad Haklita after you receive your Teudat Zehut.

At Misrad Hapnim, Ktinim Chozrim with an Israeli Teudat Zehut number will be issued a temporary Teudat Zehut ONLY if they make Aliyah on a Nefesh B’Nefesh group or charter flight. Otherwise, they must schedule an appointment with Misrad Hapnim to issue a biometric Teudat Zehut. The Misrad Hapnim appointment can be booked in advance (pre-Aliyah) as long as the TZ holder has access to an Israeli cell phone number to receive SMSes. Please make sure to visit both offices and to bring all the relevant documents to each.

If you are on a Nefesh B’Nefesh charter flight your temporary Teudat Zehut will be distributed shortly after arrival, according to the instructions given to you by Nefesh B’Nefesh.

If you are on a Designated flight, and therefore will only be applying for your Teudat Zehut in Misrad Hapnim (with an appointment), you may be required to bring Proof of Address in order to be processed. Ie: Rental contract, Arnona Bill etc.

Open a shekel bank account with the bank of your choice.  Be sure to obtain documentation of your bank details for Misrad Haklita. You must make an initial deposit; Misrad Haklita is unable to transfer Sal Klita payments to an inactive account.


Ktinim Chozrim DO NOT need to report to the IDF at the Lishkat Hagiyus before going to Misrad Haklita to obtain their letter of clarification. Misrad Haklita will report directly to the IDF about their arrival in Israel.

Based on their age and according to the rules, a decision about their army duty will be made by the IDF.


You will need a letter of authorization from the IDF that you have reported to the “Lishkat HaGiyus” or that you have received an exemption from the Israeli Army.

Males over the age of 40, married women, and single women over the age of 25 are not required to get an authorization from the IDF and may skip this step.

You may clarify your status at the “Lishkat HaGiyus” at one of the following addresses:

Tel Aviv – Machane Tel Hashomer 03-738-8888
Jerusalem –  Rashi 103, 02-500-7000
Haifa – 12 Rechov Omar Kayam, 04-860-0700
Beer Sheva – 22 Rechov Yad Vashem, 08-665-0060
Tiberias –  Rechov Natzeret, 04-671-7506

Call Misrad Haklita in your area to schedule a meeting with your Klita counselor. You must visit Misrad Haklita in the city listed on your Teudat Zehut.

You will need:

  • Teudat Zehut booklet (or valid Israeli passport)
  • Foreign and Israeli passports
  • All original documents presented in your Aliyah application (Israeli and foreign passports SINCE THE AGE OF 14, proof of studying in Israel if applicable, proof of living abroad if no passport is available, and a copy of your parents’ passports)
  • Transcript of entries and exits from Misrad Hapnim in case you are making Aliyah from Israel or your status was not approved from abroad by the Aliyah center of The Jewish Agency for Israel. Note: You can obtain this transcript from Misrad Hapnim by phone, by dialing *3450.
  • Bank account details

You will receive:

  • Teudat Zakaut
  • Information about Ulpanim, housing assistance, Student Authority and other benefits
  • Find out when your Sal Klita payments will be deposited into your bank account

Register with the Kupat Cholim (health fund) of your choice. This step takes place at Misrad Haklita (step 6).

What you need:

  • Israeli ID card (Teudat Zehut)
  • Teudat Zakaut (received at Misrad Haklita)
  • Transcript of entry and exit from Israel (can be issued at Misrad Hapnim)

At Misrad Haklita, you will have to fill out 2 forms:

  • Declaration of settlement in Israel
  • Request for health insurance registration “Kupat Cholim”- (Form 666)

Olim are entitled to ship appliances and belongings for personal use from abroad, without incurring customs fees. In order to release your import by using your Customs benefits you will need an open file with the Customs authority. A file will be opened for you automatically by the Customs authority within 3 days of your Aliyah.
For more info: [email protected]

Find the Nefesh B’Nefesh Shipping Guide here.

If you are releasing your shipment ‘door to door’ please provide your shipping company agent with the following (in addition to the above):

  1. Foreign passport with your Aliyah visa stamp or Israeli passport (if applicable).
  2. Teudat Zehut or Teudat Zakaut (for Ktinim Chozrim and Ezrachim Olim).
  3. An apartment contract (ownership or rental) for proof of maintaining a household.
  4. Shipment number.
  5. Inventory list.

If you are not shipping ‘door to door’ you will need to provide the above documents directly to the customs office.

What to expect:

  1. When sending your shipment, be sure to find out its estimated date of arrival.
  2. There may be additional costs involved in releasing a shipment, unrelated to customs fees. Please check with your shipper.
  3. Depending on the arrangement you have with your shipper, you may have to go to the port, meet the customs agent and arrange release of the shipment. Your shipment may be opened by customs to verify its contents.
  4. Remember that your final status will be clarified only after opening a file with the Customs Authority. We recommend that you NOT ship a container from abroad before there is a final decision about your status.

Customs Authority website.
Customs Inquiries: [email protected]

To convert your foreign driver’s license to an Israeli driver’s license, you may need to take a Mivchan Shlita, a practical driving test. The conversion process entails obtaining a Tofes Yarok (green form) from an optometrist approved by the Ministry of Transport, visits to your family doctor and your local Misrad Harishui and taking at least one lesson with a driving instructor before taking the actual driving test.

If you have 5 years of driving history leading up to your Aliyah, you may be eligible to a quick license conversion.
For more info: Converting your Foreign Driver’s License.

The total cost of this process is approximately 1,100 NIS.

Olim must present a valid foreign driver’s license issued at least 3 months prior to entry into Israel.

Misrad Harishui: *5678
Misrad Harishui website:
Licensing information and Misrad Harishui locations:

If you plan to work in the public sector, for example in the government or the school system, you must first have your diploma(s) accredited officially by Misrad Hachinuch (משרד החינוך – Ministry of Education). This accreditation process will also determine the salary and rank appropriate to your degree.

What you need:
Bring originals and copies of the required documents to Misrad Hachinuch. A complete list of the required documents can be found on our website.

Misrad Hachinuch website:
NBN Information Regarding Degree Recognition:

CLICK HERE for detailed information about registering your child for school.

Misrad Haklita helps you become acclimated to life in Israel by offering 5 months of free Ulpan (Hebrew immersion classes). You are eligible to receive the subsidy for Ulpan within the first 18 months following your date of Aliyah.

What you need:

  1. For a list of recognized Ulpanim in your area, please see the Nefesh B’Nefesh Ulpan Directory.
  2. At Misrad Haklita, you will receive a voucher for an Ulpan in your area. Bring the voucher to the office of your chosen Ulpan and register. The Ulpan staff will inform you when classes start. You will be given a placement exam at the Ulpan.

A minimum number of students must register for a class before it can open. If the course you need is not available locally, you have the option to attend Ulpan in another community.

NBN Ulpan Directory:
Misrad Haklita website:

Bituach Leumi (National Insurance Institute) is the main instrument of social security in Israel. It subsidizes the different Kupot Cholim and provides child allowances, income support, pensions and workers’ compensation.Bituach Leumi (National Insurance Institute) is the main instrument of social security in Israel. It subsidizes the different Kupot Cholim and provides child allowances, income support, pensions and workers’ compensation.

Child Allowance – קצבת ילדים – For Kitzvat Yeladim
Kitzvat Yeladim is a monthly stipend received by all residents of Israel from the government based on the number of children you have up to age 18 who are living in Israel.Once you visit Misrad Haklita, your child allowance should automatically be deposited into your Israeli bank account.Please make sure to check your account two months after Aliyah. If you have not received your child allowance, please check with Bituach Leumi.For any children born after Aliyah, submit the claim for child allowance in the hospital in which they are born.

What you need:

  1. Teudat Zakaut.
  2. Teudat Zehut.
  3. Birth certificate for each child.
  4. Bank account number and a letter confirming that you and your spouse share a joint account.

Bituach Leumi website:

For further assistance, please contact the Nefesh B’Nefesh Government Advocacy Department at 02-659-5800 or [email protected].

Good luck and B’hatzlacha!

How can we help your Aliyah?