The Ministry of Aliyah and Integration is offering a retroactive reimbursement of up to 4,000 NIS to Olim who were required to translate and/or notarize documents in order to transfer their professional license in Israel.  The Oleh must submit the original receipts (or verified copies).

  • The reimbursement only covers translations and notarizations for professional needs
  • You can be reimbursed retroactively back to receipts that were issued from January 15, 2015
  • Age limit: Retirement age

In addition, the Ministry offers a reimbursement for Olim who took the governmental licensing exam.  Your eligibility lasts for 10 years from your date of Aliyah.  The reimbursement is ONLY given retroactively and will be paid back ONLY after submitting the receipt for your exam to your local Misrad Haklitah office.

Please note:  If you didn’t participate in a Misrad Haklitah preparation course for the governmental licensing exam, you may be entitled to reimbursement for two exams (if needed).

Disclaimer: Misrad Habriut regulations are subject to change. For the most current information regarding licensing procedures, please see Misrad Habriut’s site. Nefesh B’Nefesh does not take responsibility for inaccuracies on the site or changes to the law.

In order to obtain a license from the Misrad Habriut (Ministry of Health), you must mail your request to:

Licensing Department, Ministry of Health
39 Rehov Yermiyahu
Jerusalem 9446724

The following is a list of the documents necessary for processing this request:

  • An application form (can be filled out in English). Please make sure to have your name written also in its Hebrew transliteration. In addition, you must provide with an ISRAELI address and cell phone# (can be of friends/family).
  • Application Form to take the government licensing examination for pharmacists (in 2 copies).
  • 2 photocopies of Israeli identity card, including the address stub and/or photocopy of passport with valid authorization for living in Israel.
  • Diploma (or letter from the dean of the faculty indicating that you completed your studies and are entitled to a diploma) – requires verification* (see below).
  • Official document confirming the start and end date of studies– requires verification* (see below).
  • Official document confirming completion of the specified period of practical work or internship; or official confirmation of having worked in the profession for at least one year – requires verification* (see below).
  • Valid license – requires verification* (see below).
  • Official documents confirming clinical work in hospitals, medical institutions or public/private pharmacies and notations regarding the start and end dates of work at each institution – requires verification* (see below).
  • Letter(s) of “Good Standing” from the appropriate professional boards. The letter confirms that there are no, and have not been any, disciplinary, negligence or professional ethics complaints against the pharmacist.
  • 2 passport photos.
  • Matriculation certificate.
  • Affidavit that the student attended classes in person, and did not take them through correspondence (distance learning).

*For the documents who require verification, you have 3 verification options:

  1. Verified with an apostille after having the original document notarized (recommended).
  2. Bring it to an ISRAELI notary and have them notarize it.
  3. A verified copy (אימות העתק, Imut He’etek) at the Israeli consulate.

All documents must be submitted in two copies. You must submit the verified copy plus an additional photocopy of the original document. Always keep the originals for yourself, as well as a photocopy of the verified document.

All of the documents should be mailed (registered) to the division of medical licensing at the MOH.

To receive a license to practice pharmacy in Israel, graduates of institutions recognized to teach this profession overseas must successfully pass the government licensing examinations in pharmacy in Israel.

In order to be eligible for a permanent license, one must practice pharmacy in Israel for minimum one year.

An Israel Police confirmation of the absence of criminal records (or alternatively: details of the existing criminal records in the applicant’s name) will be required to receive your permanent license – not your temporary license. In the absence of confirmation, the Medical Professionals Licensing Division will contact the police to receive the confirmation.

Misrad Habriut now offers a new customer call center to answer questions about licensing for health care professionals. Call *5400 from Israel or 972-8-6241010 from abroad. The center operates Sunday through Thursday, 8am-6pm, and Fridays from 8am-1pm, Israel time.

NOTE:  The Israeli department of education does not recognize doctorates that are not PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degrees. 

This includes all professional doctorate  degrees (DPT, DNP, OTD, OD,DC, AuD, DPM, DO). They will be recognized only as Master degrees.

Pharmacists who were licensed and practiced full time overseas are exempt from the full Israeli governmental licensing exam if they meet the following criteria:

  1. Hold a valid license or the equivalent certificate from their country of origin.
  2. Practiced pharmacy full time under the local law of their country of origin for at least three of the four years or two out of three prior to their application date.

Documents to prove work history:

  • Valid license or certificate of the pharmacy in which one was working.
  • Pay stubs or a formal letter from the employer stating the dates of employment and whether the employee worked full- or part-time.
  • If the applicant was self-employed – a letter from their accountant proving the duration of their practice.
    • If the applicant worked in their country of origin less than three but more than two of the three years prior to their application date, they will still be able to apply, but will be required to work in Israel under supervision for two years instead of one (see next paragraph).
  1. Never failed the Israeli licensing exam in the past.
  2. Passed the “Israeli Pharmacy Law” governmental exam, as to be determined by the Ministry of Health. This exam is offered twice a year on the same date as the licensing exam. Click here to download the request form to take the Israeli Pharmacy Law governmental exam.
    Important Note: Make sure to check off the דיני רוקחות box in section א as demonstrated here. 

Applicants who meet the criteria will be issued a temporary license with which they will be able to work under supervision in authorized pharmacies in Israel. After working full-time for a year (or two – see number 2 above), and submitting an approval form from the supervisor of the pharmacy, one will be issued a permanent license to practice pharmacy in Israel.

The licensing exam is offered twice a year. Dates of upcoming exam are available online on the Misrad Habriut site. A syllabus is also available online.

A good working knowledge of Hebrew is essential. It is strongly advised to study Hebrew before you arrive and then to take Ulpan upon arrival. Even where an immigrant professional works entirely with speakers of his/her mother tongue, it is still necessary to deal with the various agencies that make up the Israeli medical network. For a full listing of Ulpan options, see the Ulpan Guide.

In addition to regular ulpan, Misrad HaKlita offers an Ulpan for medical professionals – shlav bet. The class opens provided there are enough people who are interested. Be in touch with your local branch of Misrad HaKlita to find out when the next class will begin. For more information, see Medical Ulpan.

This article was last updated on March 31, 2020.


How can we help your Aliyah?

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.