The steps below will guide you through your first few weeks after Aliyah. You will find a list of what to expect, which offices to visit, and which documents to bring as you obtain your Israeli documentation and begin your life in Israel.

For more information on making Aliyah as a Former A-1 Visa Holder, click here.

For more information on the Aliyah Rights & Benefits for Former A-1 Visa Holders, please click here.

  • Passport Control: Your foreign passport will be stamped by the Passport Control officer and you will receive a little blue slip – Keep it.
  • Misrad Haklita (Ministry of Aliyah and Integration) – at Ben Gurion Airport: Proceed to Misrad Haklita in order to receive your voucher for a free taxi ride.

Please note that your Teudat Oleh will be updated or issued at your local branch of Misrad Haklita. We highly recommend that you clarify your eligibility for Oleh benefits BEFORE YOUR ALIYAH with your Jewish Agency for Israel Shaliach. In most of the cases an appeal to the “Vaadat Irurim” is required to define which rights you have remaining and the Shaliach is supposed to submit it for you pre-aliyah. Make sure to bring all documentation with you. Please note that you will need to schedule a meeting with Misrad Haklita in order to get your Teudat Oleh.

Israeli Olim (Ktinim Chozrim, Ezrachim Olim, Returning Resident and Former A-1 Temporary Visa Holders) with an Israeli Teudat Zehut number will be issued a temporary Teudat Zehut ONLY if they make Aliyah on a Nefesh B’Nefesh group or charter flight. Otherwise, they must  schedule an appointment with Misrad Hapnim to issue a biometric Teudat Zehut. The Misrad Hapnim appointment can be booked in advance (pre-Aliyah) as long as the TZ holder has access to an Israeli cell phone number to receive SMSes.

You will need:

    • Original birth certificates for all family members with apostille certification
    • Original copy of your Marriage/Divorce/Spouse’s death certificate with apostille certification
    • Original Proof of Judaism letter
    • Valid passports for all family members

If you are on a Designated flight, and therefore will only be applying for your Teudat Zehut in Misrad Hapnim (with an appointment), you may be required to bring Proof of Address in order to be processed. Ie: Rental contract, Arnona Bill etc.

Open a shekel bank account at the bank of your choice. If you will be receiving Sal Klita, please be sure to obtain documentation of your account details. You must make an initial deposit; Misrad Haklita is unable to transfer Sal Klita payments to an inactive account.

Call Misrad Haklita in your area to schedule a meeting with a Klita counselor. You must visit Misrad Haklita in the city listed on your Teudat Zehut.

  • You will need:
    • Teudat Zahut booklet
    • Foreign passport
    • All original documents provided to your Shaliach (all passports since you left Israel as a temporary resident or alternative proof that you resided abroad since then)
    • Transcript of entries and exits from Misrad Hapnim in case you are making Aliyah from Israel or your status was not approved from abroad by the Aliyah Center of The Jewish Agency
    • Old Teudat Oleh
    • Bank account number
    • 2 passport pictures

You will receive:

    • Information about Ulpanim, housing benefits, the Student Authority and other benefits that remain
    • A new Teudat Oleh, if applicable

(The National Insurance Institute) in your area in order to register with the Kupat Cholim (health fund) of your choice. Please note that according to Bituach Leumi you should not be subject to Section 58 of the Health Law and you should be enrolled with the Kupat Cholim (without a 6 month waiting period). A final decision regarding your eligibility will be made by Bituach Leumi. We recommend that you purchase private health insurance before your arrival and maintain this coverage until your eligibility is determined by Bituach Leumi (it can take a few weeks).

At Bituach Leumi you will have to fill out 2 forms:

  1. Declaration of settlement in Israel: שאלון לקביעת תושבות
  2. Request for health insurance registration “Kupat Cholim” (Form 666): קביעת תושבות ובקשה לרישום בקופת חולים

What you need:

    • Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card)
    • Teudat Oleh or a letter received from Misrad Haklita.
    • Transcript of entry and exit from Israel (can be issued at Misrad Hapnim)

Olim are entitled to ship appliances and belongings for personal use from abroad, without incurring customs fees. In order to release your import by using your Customs benefits you will need an open file with the Customs authority. A file will be opened for you automatically by the Customs authority within 3 days of your Aliyah.
For more info:

Find the complete Nefesh B’Nefesh Shipping Guide here.

As a former A-1 temporary resident, you may be asked to present the following documents:

  • Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card).
  • Old or new Teudat Oleh.
  • Current passports
  • All original documents provided to your Shaliach (old Teudat Oleh and all passports since you left Israel as a temporary resident).
  • Tamzit Rishum Murchav from Misrad Hapnim.
  • Transcript from Misrad Hapnim with entries and exits.
  • Signed declaration from the Beit Mishpat HaShalom (Courthouse) that you did not use car benefits in the past.
  • Your spouse’s passport and Teudat Zehut (if applicable).

Remember that your final status will be clarified only after opening a file with the Customs Authority. We recommend that you DO NOT ship a container from abroad before there is a final decision about your status.

For further assistance, please contact the Nefesh B’Nefesh Advocacy Department at 02-659-5800.

Government Office Directory

Get locations, directions and office hours
for governmental offices throughout Israel