Obtaining an Israeli Passport or Teudat Maavar

Passports and Teudot Maavar are issued after 7 working days and cannot be issued at the local office immediately. Only in emergency situations can you apply for a passport at the airport, though this involves a separate charge.

Misrad Hapnim offers discounts if you fill out the application for a Teudat Maavar or passport and complete the payment online.

To fill out the form online, click here, then click the button on the bottom right that says “Tofes Mekuvan.” (You will need to download a toolbar that enables you to view government forms online, before you can fill out the form. Please note: This tool bar works in Internet Explorer only) Click to see a translated sample page below








Print out the form.

After submitting the form, go to Misrad Hapnim (bringing the necessary documentation with you) in order to complete the process.

First Three Months After Aliyah

During the first 3 months following your Aliyah, you are permitted to travel abroad using a foreign passport that has an Aliyah visa inside of it.

Three to Twelve Months After Aliyah

After you have been in Israel for more than 3 months, you are required to travel abroad with an Israeli travel document (Teudat Maavar).

When traveling abroad, make sure to have both your Teudat Maavar and foreign passport available. Leave and return to Israel using both documents, but enter your country of origin using your foreign passport only. For example, if you are a Canadian Oleh, exit Israel using both your Teudat Maavar and your Canadian passport, but enter Canada using your Canadian passport only.

As soon as you start to plan an overseas trip, apply for your Israeli travel documents at your local branch of Misrad Hapnim (Ministry of the Interior). The average time it takes to receive a Teudat Maavar approximately 7 business days. However, this process can take longer during official Israeli holidays such as Pesach and Sukkot.

Make sure to request a Teudat Maavar well in advance.


  1. You can only apply for the Teudat Maavar after 3 months from your Aliyah date, do not try going to Misrad Hapnim before the 3 months are up as they will not allow you to apply.
  2. If you are traveling abroad and leave Israel within the first three months but return to Israel after the first three months, you are entitled to travel on your foreign passport. When you return to Israel, apply for a Teudat Maavar.
  3. If you are traveling within a timeframe that you will not be able to receive a Teudat Maavar in time (immediately after the 3 month date since your Aliyah), please refer to your local Misrad Hapnim with your plane ticket  to prove the urgency and the Misrad Hapnim will issue the Teudah Maavar on the spot.

Applying for a Teudat Maavar

Three months after your Aliyah date, you will need to apply for a Teudat Maavar.

The Teudat Maavar functions similarly to an Israeli passport. Once you submit a request, the Teudat Maavar will be mailed to the home address that appears on your Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card). Make sure that Misrad Hapnim has your current address.

What to bring:

  • Teudat Zehut
  • Foreign Passport
  • 2 identical passport pictures for each family member
  • Application for Teudat Maavar (you can fill it out at Misrad Hapnim or download it)
  • Processing fee to be paid by cash/credit card or bank check; you can obtain a reduction if you fill it out online

All family members requesting a Teudat Maavar (including children) must be physically present at Misrad Hapnim.

Note: Certain countries do not accept a Teudat Maavar as a valid entry document and may require a valid visa in order to enter the country. The visa issue can be avoided if you use your foreign passport (rather than your Teudat Maavar) when you enter any country outside of Israel. When you enter and leave Israel, Israeli law requires that you use your Teudat Maavar or Israeli passport.

After One Year of Aliyah

You are entitled to apply for an Israeli passport one year after your Aliyah, provided that you have resided at least 75% of the first year in Israel. If you have not completed this requirement you may return to Misrad Hapnim to apply for the passport once you have completed 75% of the first 3 years or 3 years of the first 5 years. All passports issued to Olim are valid for 5 years. After 5 years you must visit Misrad Hapnim to extend the passport for an additional 5 years. Please note: a passport extension is done on the existing passport and does not require issuing a new passport. After the second 5 years have passed, you will need to issue a new passport at Misrad Hapnim. The new passport will be valid for 10 years.

Please note: A minor’s passport is only valid for 5 years, after which you will need to issue the child a new passport. You are eligible to apply for an Israeli passport even if your Teudat Maavar is still valid.

Note for Commuters: An Oleh must reside at least 75% of the first year in Israel after their Aliyah in order to obtain an Israeli passport. If you commute and do not spend that amount of time in Israel, Misrad Hapnim takes the liberty of deciding if you are eligible for a passport or not based on your means of residency. Meaning, if your family resides in Israel, your children go to school etc. Misrad Hapnim is more likely to grant you a passport. This is decided on a case by case basis.

Applying for a Darkon

What to bring:

  • Teudat Zehut
  • Foreign Passport
  • Your Teudat Maavar (if you had one issued)
  • Application for an Israeli passport (can be filled out at Misrad Hapnim or you can download it at www.moin.gov.il)
  • 2 identical passport pictures for each family member requesting a passport
  • Processing fee payable by cash, credit card or bank check; you can obtain a discount by filling out the form online

All family members requesting passports (including children) must be physically present at Misrad Hapnim. Your passport will be mailed within two weeks. For a full listing of Misrad Hapnim branches and operating hours, click here.

You also have the option of issuing an Israeli biometric passport, for more information see the following link.

Emergency Travel

In an emergency, the Border Control Police at Ben Gurion Airport may allow you to leave the country with your foreign passport only, or they may refer you to Ben Gurion’s branch of Misrad Hapnim. Use this option only as a last resort! The cost of issuing an emergency passport/Teudat Maavar at the airport for a minor is 555 NIS, and for an adult is 1105 NIS. Issuing an emergency passport/Teudat Maavar at the airport does not apply to lost passports/Teudot Maavar.

Traveling Abroad and Sal Klita Payments

As a rule, any visit outside of Israel may stop your Sal Klita payments. Upon returning to Israel, you must contact your local branch of Misrad Haklita and have payments reinstated. You are entitled to receive back payments. We suggest that you check your bank statement to ensure that all Sal Klita payments are received as scheduled. Commuters and other people who need to travel outside of Israel for work purposes should contact Misrad Haklita to discuss their specific situation. Please note that if you leave the country and do not return within 12 months of your Aliyah date, you lose the remainder of your Sal Klita payments.

Army Exit Permit

Olim Chadashim are NOT required to present an exit permit from the IDF before leaving Israel. Olim who have an official army draft date must return to Israel 3 days prior to that date.

Travel Tip: Once you obtain a Darkon, you can avoid lines at Passport Control using an automated hand scanning system. You can apply for this service in the Passport Control Hall on your way out of Israel.