Documents needed for Aliyah – Guided Aliyah from within Israel.

||||Documents needed for Aliyah – Guided Aliyah from within Israel.
The following is a list of the documents that must be submitted to process your Aliyah.
Copy the main page of your passport (with your picture), as well as any additional pages that indicate date extensions or name changes – for each family member making Aliyah. Your passport must be valid for at least six months from your anticipated date of Aliyah.

  •  If you are the bearer of an Israeli passport or if one or both of your parents held Israeli citizenship at the time of your birth, you are considered by the State of Israel to be an Israeli citizen and therefore will have a shorter Aliyah process directly through Misrad Hapnim.

Please click here for more information.

Please submit a copy of your original birth certificate (issued by the country in which you were born) for each family member making Aliyah.

  •  The applicant’s full name and both parents’ names must be listed on the birth certificate. You will need to obtain a long-form birth certificate if your birth certificate does not include your parents’ names.
  •  For those applicants/children of applicants who are U.S. citizens born outside of the U.S., please note that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not sufficient.
  •  If the birth certificate is in a language other than English or Hebrew, please submit a copy of a notarized translation into English or Hebrew along with a copy of the original certificate.
  •  Hospital issued birth certificates are not sufficient.
  •  If the name on your passport does not match your birth certificate, and the name change is not due to a change in marital status, please submit a copy of your official name change document.

To learn what apostille certification is and how to obtain it, please follow the link in notes at the end of this page.
Canada does not issue apostilles – alternative certification is acceptable from Canada – to learn more follow the same link below.

  •  You must obtain apostille certification on your birth certificate and your name change certificate if they were issued after September 1, 1988 . Please submit copies of the apostilles to NBN
  •  If the issuing country of your birth certificate is not the same as the issuing country of the passport used for your Aliyah visa, you must obtain apostille certification on your birth certificate, and submit a copy of the apostille to NBN.

Please submit a copy of your civil marriage or divorce certificate, or the death certificate of your late spouse, as applicable.

  •  A Ketuba or a Get is not sufficient. A marriage license is also not sufficient.
  •  If the certificate is in a language other than English or Hebrew, you must submit a copy of a notarized translation into English or Hebrew with a copy of the certificate itself.
  •  Apostille certification on your marital status certificate is necessary if the certificate was issued after September 1, 1988.
  •  If the certificate was issued in Israel, apostille certification is not necessary.
  •  If you cannot obtain an apostille from the state in which your document was issued you can apply for the relevant approval from your local Beit Din (rabbinical court) in Israel. You will need to go to your local Beit Din and apply with the following documents:
    • For Ishur Nisuim (Marriage approval) please present:
      • Passport of both spouses
      • 2 passport pictures each
      • Ketubah
      • A letter from  your Mesadar Kidushin (rabbi who officiated the marriage) stating you were both single and Jewish at the time of marriage.
    • For Ishur Girushin (Divorce approval) please present:
      • Passport of both spouses
      • Copy of your “Get” or rabbinic divorce certificate signed by three rabbis
    • NOTE: Both procedures will require a 251 NIS fee to open a file and will be followed by a second meeting to receive the approval of the Beit Din

Acceptable proof of Judaism is a letter from a recognized rabbi in North America or the UK, stating that you are Jewish and born to a Jewish mother.

  •  This is required for all adults in the family making Aliyah.
  •  The letter must have been written in the past year on official letterhead.
  •  If you are Jewish through your father/grandfather, please provide a letter from a recognized rabbi in North America or the UK, who can confirm your Jewish lineage.
  •  Israeli citizens may have additional options for the proof of Judaism requirement

Some other requirements of the letter are as follows:

  •  The letter must be in English or Hebrew.
  •  The letter must appear on official synagogue letterhead. It must state the name, location and telephone number of the congregation, and include your full legal name (as appears on your passport) and parents’ names (and grandparents’ names, where relevant).
  •  The letter must bear the rabbi’s signature, and the rabbi’s name and title should appear on the letterhead.
  •  If you converted to Judaism, you will be required to submit different documentation proving your completion of the conversion process. You will receive further instructions during the application process.

Please submit two official and identical passport photos for each family member ages 16 and above who is making Aliyah. These will be the photos used to issue your Teudat Zehut.

  •  Homemade passport photos will not be accepted.
  •  For a description of acceptable passport pictures, see Passport Photos .

For financial applications. A blank affidavit is available as part of the application process.

Good quality, recent, color photo of all individuals making Aliyah.

  •  A digital photo is acceptable.
  •  Families – submit one picture which includes all family members together.
  •  Singles – submit a photo of the applicant only.

These documents are the official papers required by the state of Israel to apply for Aliyah. They must be filled out in advance so our Guided Aliyah team can process and pre-approve your Aliyah.

  • Applicants ages 16 and older must each fill out these documents.
  • The “application for Oleh Status” must be filled out for applicants of all ages.

The Ministry of Interior requires that all Aliyah applicants age 16 and over obtain a Letter of Good Standing (Teudat Yosher) from the authorities in their country of origin (issued by the country/state/provincial police) certifying that the applicant has no criminal background.

  •  Apostille certification (also called a chain of signatures or legalisation) must be affixed to the original Letter of Good Standing.
  •  Guided Aliyah applicants who are unable to obtain this documentation may submit a declaration signed in the presence of an Israeli lawyer in lieu of the police record. The declaration form is attached to the application.

To start the Aliyah application process, click here.

Important notes

  •  Please submit all documents together with your application.  Depending on the Aliyah status assigned to you by the Jewish Agency, you may be required to submit additional documentation.  You will be informed of the required documentation and assisted with any additional questions during the Aliyah application process.
  • Please submit copies of all documents to Nefesh B’Nefesh and keep the originals for your records to present when required by the Jewish Agency for Israel or the Misrad Hapnim.
  •  If you do not hold some of the required documents you can order them following the instructions in the links below.
  • Apostille certification
    Birth / Marriage / Divorce / Death certificate:
  •  U.S. Vital Records
  •  Canadian vital records
  •  U.K. General Register Office
2018-04-10T07:45:00+00:00 Aliyah Processing and Flight Logistics|