As an Oleh who is entitled to customs benefits, you may consider a postal package containing household items only as one of the 3 shipments exempted from taxes.
A mail package containing only clothing and footwear items that was sent to Israel prior to Aliyah entry date – will be exempt of taxes and will not be considered a shipment. This only holds true if it arrived to Israel within 30 days prior to the entry date, or on the entry date (accompanied luggage) or within 3 months since entry date.
How It Works
- Once the package arrives in Israel you will receive a notice from your local post office that you have a package waiting for you.
- If you wish to release the package with your Aliyah benefits, fill out this form Customs Exemption Request Form (Hebrew) and send it to [email protected]. The customs authority will verify that you still have Oleh benefits (see note below) and proceed accordingly.
- Please make sure to add a copy of your Teudat Oleh and Teudat Zehut with Sefach (addendum) with the exemption request form.
- When you receive an email or mail confirmation, go to the post office to pick up your package. It should take about a week to obtain the confirmation.
- You can only send this appeal if you already have a file open with customs. A customs file is opened within 3 days of your Aliyah.
- If you send via registered mail services (such as UPS, FEDEX, DHL etc.) please be in touch with the service you are using prior to shipping your package to ensure that you can go through customs on your own using your Aliyah benefit. You may be required to go in person to Ben Gurion Airport. In most cases, if the courier services pays the customs fee on your behalf you will NOT be able to get a refund.
- If you are ordering from abroad for delivery directly to your home (i.e., Amazon, Ali Express, Next, etc.), you are entitled to purchase up to $75 without paying customs tax. (The cost of shipping and insurance are not factored in the tax, and they are calculated separately from the cost of the product.) If you order beyond $75, & would like the order to be one of your three tax free shipments, please pay the customs tax. You should then complete this reimbursement form and submit your receipt.
- You may bring a new item worth up to $200 via travel by air without declaring it. If it has a higher value, and you would like to declare it as one of your 3 tax free shipments, please declare it at Customs at Ben Gurion Airport, along with your Teudat Oleh. (If you do not declare it and are caught, there will no longer be the option of using it as one of the 3 shipments.)
Last Updated: April 11,2022