Choosing a community is something everyone needs to do, no matter who they are or where they live, but there are some unique things you must consider when choosing your community in Israel.
When searching for your perfect community, there are a few important points to consider:
- Anglo population: Do you want to be thrown into the deep end when it comes to Hebrew, forced to acclimate to Israeli life and culture? Do you want a softer landing, with more English speakers, in a community of people who have been through the same things as you are currently experiencing as an Oleh Chadash?
- Ulpan: If you plan to study in Ulpan when you arrive in Israel, make sure there is a local Ulpan that you can get to. Keep in mind, many Ulpan options have gone virtual! If you are up for virtual learning, you can be more flexible.
- Education: Whether you have school-age kids, or you plan to attend university in Israel, make sure there are local educational options that suit the needs of you and your family.
- Synagogues/religious communities: The “religious labels” are different in Israel and communities tend to be defined according to their religious (or secular!) character. Make sure to look for a community that you are comfortable with and meets your personal needs.
- Cost of living: Living in the center of the country will be more expensive than locations further north and south. Depending on your budget, you need to consider what communities suit your family financially.
- Proximity to nature and beaches: Do you love the great outdoors? Do you want to spend every minute you can riding the waves? Israel is a small country, and nothing is too far away, but you may want to investigate communities in the type of climates you like best.
- Hospitals: Do need access to good hospitals – whether for medical or professional reasons?
Are you ready to start the search? Browse our Community Guide to get a feel for some of the most popular communities for Anglo Olim.
If you want to hear from fellow Olim, check out our Facebook group, Israel Communities Infor for Anglo Olim. The group is very active and is a great place to start your search. With over 3,800 group members, the members of the group are happy to answer questions about specific communities you may be interested in and assist you in making connections with people in various communities.
It is important to note, the most comprehensive real estate websites in Israel are only available in Hebrew – there are a few English sources but none of them offer real value, and we recommend using our Madlan Guide and Yad2 Guide to navigate the top two Hebrew real estate websites.
Upcoming Community Events:
mesh and Ramat Beit Shemesh
Communities in Israel: Netanya
Communities in Israel: Modiin
Communities in Israel: Nof HaGalil
Communities in Israel: Netanya for Retirees and Empty Nesters
Communities in Israel: Mateh Binyamin
Previous webinar: Communities in Israel: Haifa
While pilot trips have not been possible since the beginning of the pandemic, as vaccinations begin to become more widespread and the situation stabilizes we look forward to a time in the not too distant future when pilot trips are again a possibility. You can start to get a better sense of how to plan your pilot trip by reviewing NBN’s Planning a Pilot Trip page.