Misrad Hashikun (Ministry of Housing) offers Olim Chadashim rental assistance beginning from the 9th month after Aliyah. 

The period of eligibility for rental assistance is up to five years from the date of receiving Oleh status.

The level of assistance will be defined according to your family status, and the number of years you have resided in Israel.

If you made Aliyah between May 2016 and August 2016 you should automatically receive retroactive payments of rental assistance for months 9-12 of your Aliyah, according to the sums in the table below.

Here is a table which includes the distribution amounts for rental assistance:

Number of Months in Israel

Single Oleh

Oleh Family

Single Parent Family

9-12 223 NIS 402 NIS 402 NIS
13-24 (second year after Aliyah) 400 NIS 800 NIS 800 NIS
25-36 (third year after Aliyah) 400 NIS 600 NIS 600 NIS
37-48 (fourth year after Aliyah) 400 NIS 400 NIS 400 NIS
49-60 (fifth year after Aliyah) 89 NIS 99 NIS 223 NIS
61-72 (sixth year after making Aliyah) 134 NIS

From the 9th month of your Aliyah the rental assistance will be deposited automatically into your bank account.

However, there are certain cases where the assistance will not start automatically or will stop during the time you are still eligible to receive.

  1. Change of bank account

If you change your bank account, you will need to inform Misrad Hashikun directly by sending them a letter that includes:

  • Your request/question
  • First and last name
  • Teudat Zehut number
  • Address and phone number
  • New bank account number
  • Name and number of the bank branch
  • Void check or any other official document proving your account existence

Please note that if you are receiving assistance as a family, you must have a joint account and both names must appear on your bank account. The letter should be sent to: Misrad Hashikun, Agaf Ikhlus/Kitsba’ot, POB 18110, Jerusalem 91180, or to the Fax number: 02-584-7708.

  1. Marital status

If you changed your marital status since your Aliyah, you are married to an Israeli or you are married to a veteran Oleh, the assistance will not be automatic. In order to receive the assistance you will need to go to one of the rental assistance companies to open a file and issue a ‘Teudat Zakaut’ (Eligibility Card) . This is in order for the companies to check that your spouse is not receiving rental assistance already.

If you are married to a veteren Oleh, regardless of his or her age during Aliyah, the new Oleh will be joined to the veteran Oleh’s Rental Assistance benefit timeline.
If the veteran Oleh has passed the period of eligibility, the new Oleh will not be eligible for this benefit, regardless of if the veteran Oleh received the benefit or not.
If married to an Israeli, you will be eligible for this benefit as a single.

Important Note: The Teudat Zakaut for rental assistance has an expiration date and needs to be periodically renewed (every year or two), so make sure you keep track of the dates. If the Teudat Zakaut expires, payment will be stopped and there is no guarantee that you will receive retroactive payments.

In order to open a file you will need:

  • Both spouses need to attend with their marriage certificate.
  • Teudat Zehut and Sefach (addendum), for both husband and wife, showing that you are married (if you are not registered in Misrad Hapnim you will need to do this first, see: Registering for Marriage
  • Teudat Oleh showing both spouses (If you are both not on the Teudat Oleh, you will need go to Misrad Haklita and update your marriage there)
  • If your spouse is an Israeli citizen, you will get a stamp from Misrad HaKlita on your Teudat Oleh that your spouse is Israeli, instead of having your spouse added to your Teudat Oleh.
  • 30 NIS fee for opening a file, which can only be paid in cash.

Note: They will only pay up to 3 months retroactively of the months of rental assistance that were missed.

Click here for the Rental assistance companies listing

  1. Travel Abroad

If you travel abroad for a period of two months or more, your rent assistance will be temporarily discontinued. Please note: There is no extension of the period of eligibility if you have traveled abroad.

  1. Purchase of property

If you purchase a property your rent subsidies will be permanently discontinued once Misrad Hashikun has this information updated in the ministry’s computer system.

If your assistance was temporarily discontinued, or if you have not received your rent assistance for any other reason, please contact us at: advocacy@nbn.org.il

There are certain groups who receive additional rental assistance:

  • Single parent families are entitled to five years of assistance from the second year of Aliyah until six years from their date of Aliyah (you will need to open a file with one of the rental companies) – Rental assistance companies listing.
  • Soldiers serving in the IDFare entitled to assistance up to 5 years after their Aliyah at a rate of 223 NIS per month.
  • Lone soldiers–A Chayal Boded is entitled to an increased rental assistance of 402 NIS per month, starting from the soldier’s second year in Israel, for a total maximum period of 48 months. To receive this benefit the soldier should apply to one of the branches of Misrad Hashikun. The following documents will be needed: Teudat Zehut, valid Teudat Boded, Ishur Sherut Sadir.
  • Immigrants who receive income support from Bituach Leumi (elderly Olim, single-parent families with income support etc.) are entitled to extended assistance with rent assistance on the condition that they are recipients of these benefits from Bituach Leumi and that they are defined as “without housing”.

Living in a Merkaz Klita: If you live in a Merkaz Klita you are not eligible to receive Rental Subsidy as you are not renting. Upon leaving the Merkaz Klita, you will need to request an Approval of Leaving (מכתב עזיבה) letter, stating your name, Teudat Zehut number and date you left the Merkaz Klita. When applying for Rental Subsidy, this letter must be presented as well as the other documents stated above.