If you or your spouse is a Toshav Chozer (returning resident), the steps below will guide you through your first few weeks after Aliyah. You will find a list of what to expect, which offices to visit, and which documents to bring as you obtain your Israeli documentation and begin your life in Israel.

For more information on the Aliyah Rights & Benefits for Mishpachat Olim, click here.

At passport control in Ben Gurion, Israeli passport holders will have their Israeli passports stamped. Everyone else will have their foreign passport with their Aliyah visa stamped.

If the spouse who is not the Returning Resident is an Oleh Chadash or an Ezrach Oleh, their Teudat Oleh will be issued at the airport upon arrival and they will be given the first installment of Sal Klita for them and for the children. The name and information of the Returning Resident spouse will be added to the Teudat Oleh at the local branch of Misrad Haklita, at which time you will arrange Sal Klita payments for your entire family.

If the spouse making Aliyah is a Katin Chozer or previous A-1 visa holder, they will only receive their taxi voucher at this trip to Misrad Haklita. In this case, skip to step 4: Opening a Bank Account.

At Misrad Hapnim, Ktinim Chozrim, Ezrachim Olim and former A-1 visa holders with Israeli Teudat Zehut numbers will be issued a temporary Teudat Zehut ONLY if they make Aliyah on a Nefesh B’Nefesh group or charter flight. Otherwise, they must schedule an appointment with Misrad Hapnim to issue a biometric Teudat Zehut. The Misrad Hapnim appointment can be booked in advance (pre-Aliyah) as long as the TZ holder has access to an Israeli cell phone number to receive SMSes. Please make sure to visit both offices and to bring all the relevant documents to each.

If you are on a Nefesh B’Nefesh charter flight your temporary Teudat Zehut will be distributed shortly after arrival, according to the instructions given to you by Nefesh B’Nefesh.

Olim Chadashim will receive a temporary Teudat Zehut at the airport. Please ensure to bring all original documents. This Teudat Zehut is valid for three months and needs to be converted to biometric. Instructions for booking the appointment can be found here.

Open a shekel bank account with the bank of your choice.  Be sure to obtain documentation of your bank details for Misrad Haklita. You must make an initial deposit; Misrad Haklita is unable to transfer Sal Klita payments to an inactive account.

In order to open a bank account, you need either a Teudat Zehut or a Teudat Oleh. A bank account cannot be opened with a Teudat Zakaut.


Ktinim Chozrim DO NOT need to report to the IDF at the Lishkat Hagiyus before going to Misrad Haklita to obtain their letter of clarification. Misrad Haklita will report directly to the IDF about their arrival in Israel.

Based on their age and according to the rules, a decision about their army duty will be made by the IDF.


You will need a letter of authorization from the IDF that you have reported to the “Lishkat HaGiyus” or that you have received an exemption from the Israeli Army.

Males over the age of 40, married women, and single women over the age of 25 are not required to get an authorization from the IDF and may skip this step.

You may clarify your status at the “Lishkat HaGiyus” at one of the following addresses:

Tel Aviv – Machane Tel Hashomer 03-738-8888
Jerusalem –  Rashi 103, 02-500-7000
Haifa – 12 Rechov Omar Kayam, 04-860-0700
Beer Sheva – 22 Rechov Yad Vashem, 08-665-0060
Tiberias –  Rechov Natzeret, 04-671-7506

Call Misrad Haklita in your area to schedule a meeting with your Klita counselor. You must visit Misrad Haklita in the city listed on your Teudat Zehut.

Register with the Kupat Cholim (health fund) of your choice. Olim Chadashim may have already chosen a health fund at Misrad Haklita in the airport.

You will need:

  • Teudat Oleh/Zakaut (received at Misrad Haklita in the airport)
  • Transcript of entry and exit from Israel (can be issued at Misrad Hapnim)
  • Israeli and American/Canadian passports, if applicable
  • Bank account details
  • 1 passport picture

At Misrad Haklita, you will have to fill out 2 forms:

  • Declaration of settlement in Israel
  • Request for health insurance registration “Kupat Cholim”- (Form 666) 

You will:

  • Be added to your spouse’s Teudat Oleh/Zakaut
  • Receive a Toshav Chozer certificate
  • Receive information about Ulpanim for your spouse and children, housing benefits, living allowances, and other benefits
  • Find out when your Sal Klita payments will be deposited into your bank account

Oleh Chadash (with no Israeli background) can sign up for health coverage at the airport (step 2). If you prefer not to, you can also do so with the form that you receive from Misrad Haklita at the airport. You should take this form to the post office in the first few days after Aliyah (along with your Teudat Oleh) and pay the 14 shekel fee. If you are an Ezrach Oleh, Katin Chozer or a previous A1 visa holder, this step will take place at the local office of Misrad Haklita (see #5)

Your spouse who is a Returning Resident will NOT be able to register your children for health coverage at this time. Since your children are Israeli citizens, he/she will need to register them, along with himself, at the local office of Misrad Haklita (see #5).

Please do not be alarmed when you are unable to register your children at the post office. They are Israeli citizens and therefore must be registered with Bituach Leumi before they can sign up with the Kupat Cholim. Rest assured that your children DO HAVE HEALTH COVERAGE from the moment they arrive in Israel. However, it can take up to 3-4 weeks until you will be able to have a membership card issued for them at the Kupat Cholim.

Olim are entitled to ship appliances and belongings for personal use from abroad, without incurring customs fees. In order to release your shipment you will need to open a file with the Customs Authority. Nefesh B’Nefesh can assist you with this process, please contact customsfile@nbn.org.il with a copy of your Teudat Oleh and request to open a customs file. We will notify you once your file is open. We recommend that you open a file regardless of if you are shipping a container at the time, or not. This will save time if you do decide to bring a shipment at a later date.

Find the complete Nefesh B’Nefesh Shipping Guide here.

If you are releasing your shipment ‘door to door’ please provide your shipping company agent with the following (in addition to the above):

  1. Foreign passport with your Aliyah visa stamp or Israeli passport (if applicable).
  2. Teudat Zehut or Teudat Zakaut (for Ktinim Chozrim and Ezrachim Olim).
  3. An apartment contract (ownership or rental) for proof of maintaining a household.
  4. Shipment number.
  5. Inventory list.

If you are not shipping ‘door to door’ you will need to provide the above documents directly to the customs office.

What to expect:

  1. When sending your shipment, be sure to find out its estimated date of arrival.
  2. There may be additional costs involved in releasing a shipment, unrelated to customs fees. Please check with your shipper.
  3. Depending on the arrangement you have with your shipper, you may have to go to the port, meet the customs agent and arrange release of the shipment. Your shipment may be opened by customs to verify its contents.
  4. Remember that your final status will be clarified only after opening a file with the Customs Authority. We recommend that you NOT ship a container from abroad before there is a final decision about your status.

If you were an A-1 temporary resident in the past you may be asked to present the following documents:

  1. Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card).
  2. Old or new Teudat Oleh.
  3. Current passports.
  4. All original documents provided to your Shaliach (old Teudat Oleh and all passports since you left Israel as a temporary resident).
  5. Tamzit Rishum Murchav from Misrad Hapnim.
  6. Transcript from Misrad Hapnim with entries and exits.
  7. Signed declaration from the Beit Mishpat HaShalom (Courthouse) that you did not use car benefits in the past.
  8. Your spouse’s passport and Teudat Zehut (if applicable).

Customs Authority website.
Customs Inquiries: yishi@customs.mof.gov.il

We are aware that the government is currently in discussion about changing their policies regarding drivers license conversion. At this time, no adjustments have been officially implemented. We will update our website with any new information as it becomes relevant.

To convert your foreign driver’s license to an Israeli driver’s license, you will need to take a Mivchan Shlita, a practical driving test. The conversion process entails obtaining a Tofes Yarok (green form) from an optometrist approved by the Ministry of Transport, visits to your family doctor and your local Misrad Harishui and taking at least one lesson with a driving instructor before taking the actual driving test.

The total cost of this process is approximately 1,100 NIS.

Olim must present a valid foreign driver’s license issued at least 3 months prior to entry into Israel.

Misrad Harishui: *5678
Misrad Harishui website: www.mot.gov.il
Licensing information and Misrad Harishui locations: www.nbn.org.il/license

If you plan to work in the public sector, for example in the government or the school system, you must first have your diploma(s) accredited officially by Misrad Hachinuch (משרד החינוך – Ministry of Education). This accreditation process will also determine the salary and rank appropriate to your degree.

What you need:
Bring originals and copies of the required documents to Misrad Hachinuch. A complete list of the required documents can be found on our website.

Misrad Hachinuch website: www.education.gov.il
NBN Information Regarding Degree Recognition: www.nbn.org.il/klita/degree

CLICK HERE for detailed information about registering your child for school.

Misrad Haklita helps you become acclimated to life in Israel by offering 5 months of free Ulpan (Hebrew immersion classes). You are eligible to receive the subsidy for Ulpan within the first 18 months following your date of Aliyah.

What you need:

  1. For a list of recognized Ulpanim in your area, please see the Nefesh B’Nefesh Ulpan Directory.
  2. At Misrad Haklita, you will receive a voucher for an Ulpan in your area. Bring the voucher to the office of your chosen Ulpan and register. The Ulpan staff will inform you when classes start. You will be given a placement exam at the Ulpan.

A minimum number of students must register for a class before it can open. If the course you need is not available locally, you have the option to attend Ulpan in another community.

NBN Ulpan Directory: www.nbn.org.il/ulpan
Misrad Haklita website: www.moia.gov.il

Bituach Leumi (National Insurance Institute) is the main instrument of social security in Israel. It subsidizes the different Kupot Cholim and provides child allowances, income support, pensions and workers’ compensation.Bituach Leumi (National Insurance Institute) is the main instrument of social security in Israel. It subsidizes the different Kupot Cholim and provides child allowances, income support, pensions and workers’ compensation.

Child Allowance – קצבת ילדים – For Kitzvat Yeladim
Kitzvat Yeladim is a monthly stipend received by all residents of Israel from the government based on the number of children you have up to age 18 who are living in Israel.Once you visit Misrad Haklita, your child allowance should automatically be deposited into your Israeli bank account.Please make sure to check your account two months after Aliyah. If you have not received your child allowance, please check with Bituach Leumi.For any children born after Aliyah, submit the claim for child allowance in the hospital in which they are born.

What you need:

  1. Teudat Zakaut.
  2. Teudat Zehut.
  3. Birth certificate for each child.
  4. Bank account number and a letter confirming that you and your spouse share a joint account.

Bituach Leumi website: www.btl.gov.il

For further assistance, please contact the Nefesh B’Nefesh Government Advocacy Department at 02-659-5800 or advocacy@nbn.org.il.

Good luck and B’hatzlacha!

Government Office Directory

Get locations, directions and office hours
for governmental offices throughout Israel