This article was written on May 5, 2020.
The Israeli Ministry of the Interior (Misrad Hapnim) has recently decided a criminal background check is required for all Aliyah applicants. Following you will find resources and information to help clarify the steps for acquiring this document.
Authenticated criminal background checks are required for all Olim regardless of where they are making Aliyah from
- This includes all US and Canadian Olim ages 14 and up
- Background checks are valid for only 6 months from their issue date
- Olim must present a background check for every country they lived in from the age of 14 for a year or more
- Olim with Israeli background making Aliyah from abroad (Ezrachim Olim and Ktinim Chozrim) will be required to present a background check.
This is not required of Israeli passport holders who are in Israel and go directly to Misrad Hapnim and Misrad Haklita to complete their Aliyah.
US applicants need to submit an FBI background check with a federal apostille (issued in Washington DC). Following are some options to acquire the background check in the US:
- Get ink fingerprints by local law enforcement agencies or a fingerprinting vendor and send directly to the FBI – this is the cheapest option but takes 16 weeks and does not include apostille authentication. Details can be found here.
Once you have the background check you will need to get an apostille attached to it.
- Contact a local channeling company to get fingerprints, background checks and apostilles. List of approved channeling companies can be found here
- We recommend using a channeling company to acquire the background check and then using one of the apostille services on our website for discounted apostille service
- In options 2 and 3 the background check you receive is a PDF file. It is recognized as original and can be sent via email to any apostille agency to attach an apostille.
Canadian Olim need to submit “Certified Criminal Record Check”
- Information about this can be found here
- Processing time and fee information can be found here (it takes between 3-120 days and costs CAN $25). This is a federal fee and is in addition to fees charged by local police or accredited fingerprint company. For a list of private accredited fingerprinting companies, click here
- The “Certified Criminal Record Check” will need to have consular approval attached to it
Guided Aliyah – Aliyah from within Israel with
If you are making Aliyah from within Israel, through our Guided Aliyah program, you can have your fingerprints scanned and order your FBI background check in our office. For details please see our article detailing the requirements for Aliyah from within Israel under the section marked “Teudat Yosher”
For more information or questions, email email@example.com